Saturday, October 24, 2009

Quotes from my Dewey Readings:

On the beach, Linda became her social-scientist self and said, "At the top of the social hierarchy is the blond man on the elevated white chair. The symbolic throne."
"I believe the common term 'life guard' signifies his desire to copulate," I said, "i.e., to guard the perpeuation of the species."
"Note that he paints his nose white," she said. "Not unlike the chiefs of many sub-Suharan tribes."
The lifeguard stood up and blew his whistle.
I said, "Mating call."
- The Girl's Guide To Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

He'd gone out with a dancer from the Midwest. He said that when she'd first arrived in New York, the dope dealers around Washington Square had said, "Loose joints, loose joints," and she'd said, "Thank you!"
- The Girl's Guide To Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

I love The Girl's Guide To Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank.
It is a novel of a girls life, a girl that all us outsiders, Great Gatsby thinkers, and quirky "the librarian said this book is too mature for my age but I read and LOVED it anyways" can relate to. Which has been me to a tee since I was 13.
It's a modern day 'how to' guide for ignoring 'how to' guides to dating. And the best part about it was that the main character has character. She is witty, moody, sarcastic and thinks about a whole lot more then which boyfriend is coming next. I applaud and appreciate that, not because women don't need men, we do, just as much as they need us, but because there was no meaningless frivolity. There was earthy substance counteracting the normal High School dating routine...which is non-existent in the real world.
It's a must read simply for the use of thought, language, and style. Even if you aren't interested in learning anything or in gaining meaning there is plenty of room for enjoyment, sympathy and understanding.

7 comments:

  1. I'm popping by again to offer some more cheering! Still not sure if you're participating, but just in case: read! read! read! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book years ago and enjoyed it.Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting quotes! I've heard of this book, but haven't read it. Hope you're enjoying the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! I read this a few years ago! Happy Reading! CHEERS, Care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that it's past midnight and our eyes are drooping lower, it's time for us night owls to get our second wind! So here is a big HOOT from Alabama. Keep on Reading!!!! Just a few more hours to go!!!!

    Go Reading,Go Reading,Go Reading!!!
    Rebecca
    the Transcendentalists team!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning! Hope you had fun reading in the read-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete