Ok. So i've been studying Celtic traditions and druidism for the last couple of weeks and I'm mad. I am angry because after all that I have read on druids/bards etc all I can see in them is their equal in Catholicism, Green-Peace, JRR Tolkien and modern day Christianity!
Their myths, their stories are exactly the same ones we have in the bible but instead of one main character (Jesus Christ) they have a more than a dozen goddesses and gods who resemble humans (like the mythology of Apollo etc). Women on equal footing with men with the same ideologies as the greeks : Know Thyself. (Except the Greeks didn't think women were worth noting.)
So why am I mad? Their myths are interesting and fun to read? My anger has nothing to do with the fact that they found fun stories to tell. It's because their lives were too fun... because Christianity adopted all their holidays. Why does that make me mad? Because it means Christianity obviously didn't have any good holidays to impose on them so we had to take theirs. Our forefathers couldn't think up their own holidays!?! Or did Jesus just not want to give us any of our own? Or is this symbolic of us adding to our clan a lost sister-group who really were just like us they were only different....? I think all the scholars I know would say "bullshit" to that.
So which Holidays are theirs that we adopted? Something small right? Like groundhog day. Well yes. We did take their Imbolc Day and make it groundhog day for us. But more importantly we took their Christmas Day and made it ours! It was the death of one of their gods who came back on their/our Easter as a symbolic bull. The Celtics mourned their gods death with three storks, a pine tree inside the house with lights on it, and pigging out. The Celtics would then celebrate their gods resurrection on easter with paining eggs and then burring them in the ground as a gift to the mother goddess for giving them their god back.
AND Halloween is Samhain, same basic procedure and tradition (bonfires, costumes and trickery) and the list goes on and on.
They influenced the Roman Catholic Christians, gave us all their holidays, and then we went and made their practices illegal and killed all their chiefs, bards, and holy men. Sure that sounds like a fair trade... (note the sarcasm).
Not to mention that the Celtic view of their Triad (land, air, and water) only strengthened the idea of God, Jesus, Holy Spirit three in one. It wasn't until after the conquoring of celtic nations that the idea of the holy trinity was truely excepted as cannon. It's not really fully described in the bible to begin with so I can understand the Christians hesitancy.
Three is a special number:
Triads:
Land, Air, Sea
Body, Spirit, Soul
God the Father, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit
Heaven, Earth, Hell
Branches, Trunk, Roots
Birth, Death, Regeneration,
and the list goes on.
Random Fact: The Celtic Cross doesn't originally represent Jesus Christ's death on the cross. It is more of an elemental representation of the 4 directions: N,S,E,W and their corresponding elements: N = earth, S = Fire, E = air, W = water and then the attributes of a person that corresponds to that: solidity&femininity, power&masculinity, spirit&soul, emotions&purity.
JRR Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings is pure celtic. People say how much it resembles Jesus Christ and the bible but really it doesn't, not as much as it resembles celtic myths and druidism. The languages of the celtics and of the elves are similar because JRR Tolien made them that way. The significance of an immortal race (elves) living amongst (yet apart from) the humans is similar to the stories that came out of Ireland.
The five wizards: one white, one grey, one brown, two blue are equal in word and description to the celtic druidic traditions. Aragorn is your symbolic warrior right down to the color horse he rides, as are the sons of Elrond and Glorfindel etc. Sam is your classic bard. It all just lines up perfectly once you know celtic mythology.
Not to mention the presence of semi-gods. The Valar (= the Ainur) who created Middle Earth around EA (EA is the life force at the center of the world) that was supplied and created by Illuvatar who is supreme GOD. These Valar also are the same ones who welcomed the elves into their home in the undying lands. The Valar are consistent in power, appearance and morphology to the celtic gods and goddesses. Equal numbers of goddesses and gods in keeping with balance. Very Buddhist and very Celtic.
Another Random Fact: The middle-earth sun is actually a female semi-goddess (= Maia), the moon actually a male Maia chasing after her. Ha!
I bet not many people got into this part of
Back to my main point - the symmetry is undeniable.
I'm not even going to get started on Catholicism and how much Mother Mary is like the Celtic Mother Goddess. The worship of these two beings is quite similar also. Look it up yourself! I wonder which one came first. I was told that Mary didn't even start to get named or worshiped until after Christians had invaded Celtic territories in France, Germany and Turkey ...hum... wonder why?
Random Fact: Did you know that Ann is a Celtic goddess? Ann, Anu, Dan, Danu : all the same Goddess just called a different name in different regions. HAHA! There are tons of little girls running around with that name...
I'm not demeaning Celtic Traditions. I find them appealing in their systematic, mystical way to few works and the world... a lot like Catholicism. I enjoy mass. Which is why I am currently studying both subjects in my free time.
Prayers for different times. Outfits for different days. Kneel, now stand, now light a candle. Very appealing for those of us who think that way.
But I REALLY want to know what it would look like if we Christians went back to the EARLY church and did things their way? (With the astounding lack of holidays they provided I bet it wouldn't be as much fun) but it sure would be darn interesting to see what Christianity was SUPPOSED to turn out like.
I am interested in what it would look like without other religions, the Roman Empire and modernism has done to change it, and how it could be applicable today in a postmodern American culture.

Lys, I think that the whole reason that Christianity adopted so many holidays is because it made it easier for the new converts to blend into the culture. A lot of them had their lives threatened for converting. I am surprised you never knew that. I learned it like years ago (I am talking about the fact that a lot of Christian holidays were based off of other ones). I don't really think that it is something to be upset about...
ReplyDeleteTwo main topics to discuss:
ReplyDelete(1) (with Kathryn): contextualization - using ideas, categories, holidays, personalities of the host culture...changing them to fit the biblical revelation...even though they modify the form of the resulting Christianity
(2) (with C.S.Lewis): It is no surprise that so many other religions are similar to Christianity. If God made the whole world, don't you think that everybody would have gotten some parts right even without a specific revelation of Jesus Christ and the Bible? Rom 1:19-20
My problem isn't with the contextualization in this area. My problem is that Christians didn't have the creativity to come up with a bunch of their own Holidays before they hit the lands of the woads. Talk about a serious lack of Creativity!!! I like the celtic holidays! I wouldn't mind encorporating the moon festivals into my yearly traditions! The more times to celebrate life the happier life is! :D
ReplyDelete